Friday, February 12, 2021

Seeing The Good In Every Situation And The Possibility Of Making Friends!

 Hello Everybody,

Today’s blog post will be on the benefits and the challenges of doing something that you do not want to or are afraid to try. We have all had those moments when an opportunity comes to try something outside of our comfort zone. That opportunity can be a blessing, although it may not seem like it at the time. Sometimes it feels like we are taking a step in the dark and that we have no idea what the end result will be. 

One personal example from my own life to illustrate this principle is one that happened quite recently. As many of you know, I recently moved out of my parents house into a residential facility where I am learning to be more independent. I had an idea of what I was getting myself into, but it was a very big step for me. 

I honestly was not happy about it because I didn’t know who I would be working with each day. There is a very high turnover rate in residential facility companies like this, so the idea of constantly having to meet and trust complete strangers over and over again did not, and at times, still does not appeal to me. It was a step in the dark for me but I did my best to maintain the attitude of making the experience a good one. 

Some individuals I have met, and become friends with, have altered my perspective and helped me to see how I can change the world in my own way. These friends have come from all over the country, from different backgrounds and lifestyles. Most of them are of college age and it’s been interesting to me to hear some of their stories as they have come in and out of my life through this job that they have. In some small way they have helped me to reach anyway and take that concept to a deeper level then I could have on my own. They have also grown to trust me enough to share some of their personal challenges and successes. I hope in some small way I have been able to help them, but I know they have been able to help me work through my feelings of annoyance with difficulties regarding transportation, communication or my daily schedule and with new staff not understanding what their job was because of a lack of training. But through their patience, and working with me, I have been able to reach anyway and see many positive things from this experience in my life. One positive thing I have learned from these friends is that as I have heard some of their challenges it has caused me to reflect on how blessed I am to be raised in a stable, loving family. But it's also helped me to see that even people who don't have those things, can still turn out to be very good and loving people. This is not to say that I did not know this before but it has deepened my understanding and compassion for every new person I meet. Though I may not understand or agree 100% with their lifestyle it has also taught me about having compassion towards people, as the savior admonishes us to do in the scriptures.

One of my favorite stories in the bible that I feel illustrates this, is the story of the man stricken with palsy whose friends lowered him through the roof of the house. We don’t know much about the friends, but they must have had compassion and love towards the man with palsy to go to so much effort. Many of the good staff I work with, say that they chose their job knowing that It would not be easy, but chose the job nonetheless with the idea not just to get a paycheck, but to help people in need. To me, many of these people emulate the savior in their own small way, although they would be the last ones to tell you that. I still have difficult days, but I’ve discovered it is a very unique opportunity to meet people who have become true friends. That is an opportunity I would not have had, had I not accepted the good in my circumstance. 

You may also have times where you may be in a situation that is less than desirable but if you look for the good you can find it. On the other hand, if you look for the bad you will find it too. If you let even the bad experiences teach you and take steps in the dark, you can learn things about yourself and your potential that you didn't know before. 

By reaching anyway through my own trials, I learn and grow and, while my challenges don't go away, I still find peace of mind. I don't know your circumstances but I do know that if you open yourself to being taught by those difficult experiences, your life will be better. I invite you to reach anyway and use these hard experiences for your good and for the good of others. Until next time! Keep Reaching Anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment